Magnificent mansion with fine interiors and collections, set in extensive gardens and parkland
Dating from 1688, the house was home to many generations of the Blackett and Trevelyan families, who all left their mark. The restrained Palladian exterior gives way to the magnificent rococo plasterwork of the interior, which houses fine ceramics, paintings, needlework and a collection of dolls' houses. The Central Hall was decorated to look like an Italian courtyard, heavily influenced by the Pre-Raphaelites, with a series of scenes of Northumbrian history by William Bell Scott. The original formality of Sir Walter Blackett's 18th-century landscape, influenced by 'Capability' Brown, who went to school in the estate village, underlies the present surroundings. There are walks through a variety of lawns, shrubberies, lakes and woodland, enlivened with buildings, sculpture, water features and a wildlife hide. The beautiful walled garden has varied collections of plants and an abundant conservatory. Longer estate walks encompass wooded valleys and high moorland, including land around the recently reacquired Folly at Rothley Castle
Name and credits for images of Wallington
Description of image - A view of four large griffin heads displayed on the lawn at Wallington.
Credit for photograph: Andrea Jones
Copyright: ©NTPL/Andrea Jones
For information on how to join the National Trust click http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-trust/w-support/w-jointoday.htm