Medieval house with superb collections of textiles, armour and furniture, set in extensive grounds
At the heart of this riverside estate sits the granite and slatestone house of Cotehele, built mainly between 1485 and 1560 with later modifications, and a home of the Edgcumbe family for centuries. Intimate chambers feature large Tudor fireplaces and rich hangings. Outside, the formal gardens overlook the richly planted valley garden below, with medieval dovecote, stewpond and Victorian summer house, and 18th-century tower above. At the Quay interesting old buildings house the Edgcumbe Arms tea-room and an outstation of the National Maritime Museum. The restored Tamar sailing barge Shamrock is moored alongside. A network of footpaths throughout the estate provides a variety of riverside and woodland walks with nature conservation and industrial archaeology interest
Name and credits for images of Cotehele
Description of image - The front terrace of Cotehele House showing the planted borders, hedges and retaining walls.
Credit for photograph: Andrea Jones
Copyright: ©NTPL/Andrea Jones
For information on how to join the National Trust click http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-trust/w-support/w-jointoday.htm